Fr. Michael Rodríguez: Are Homosexual Acts Right or Wrong?
by Fr. Michael Rodríguez; January 31, 2012
Address to El Paso City Council
In the middle of our dark, secular, godless society, there is a light. This light is the Holy Roman Catholic Church. Jesus Christ and His Church teach the truth about homosexuality, and we can summarize this truth in three points:
(1) Homosexual acts are acts of grave depravity; they are mortal sins which cry to heaven for vengeance. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
(2) Homosexuality is an objective disorder.
(3) Homosexual persons are to be treated with respect, compassion, and sensitivity.
In the debate over homosexuality, the dark side seeks to frame the issue as one of discrimination and civil rights. This makes no logical sense. No one has a civil right to do something morally wrong. I don’t have a right to steal. I don’t have a right to lie. I don’t have a right to commit adultery, and I don’t have a right to engage in homosexual acts. As for discrimination, discrimination exists when one is against a person not when one is against actions on the part of a person. The Roman Catholic Church condemns actions of a homosexual nature. She does not discriminate against homosexual persons.
Thus, before anyone speaks about discrimination and/or civil rights, the following questions must be answered:
(1) Do you believe in right and wrong?
(2) How do you determine what is right and what is wrong?
(3) Does society have an obligation to establish law and order in accordance with its best effort to determine right and wrong?
Thus, before anyone speaks about discrimination and/or civil rights, the following question must be answered:
(1) Are homosexual acts right or wrong?
If a Catholic does not believe and hold fast to the truth that homosexual acts are wrong, one is no longer Catholic. Such a “Catholic” must refrain from receiving our Blessed Lord in Holy Communion, because one is no longer in communion with the moral truths taught by Jesus Christ and His Church.
In conclusion, no one on the face of this earth has a greater love for homosexuals that the glorious Roman Catholic Church. But it is never loving to lie. If you lie to homosexuals and tell them that “homosexual acts are o.k,” then you are the one who is showing disdain for homosexuals, because you don’t care about their true good, happiness, and salvation.
Sancta Dei Genetrix, ora pro nobis.